Sunday 9 January 2011

Knowing you way around the North of Germany

Like many Dutch people I can speak German (we do get all the German TV channels in the Netherlands, plus of course we're neighbours) which tends to make traveling to the country much easier. There are one or two occasions where it doesn't. Let me tell you about one.
I was heading to Kiel - flight from Amsterdam to Hamburg and then on in a rental car - to meet some clients. As I got closer to the Northern German town in my rented Golf the haze grew ever thicker: not an uncommon phenomenon near cold shores anywhere. So much so, in fact, that I had to slow down to snail's pace and couldn't even make out the signposts by the roadside anymore.
Eventually I made it into town, but orientation there was impossible. So I pulled over got out of the car and stopped the next person on the pavement.
"Execuse me," I asked in German, "do you know the way to such-and-such hotel?"
To which he replied, "yes," matter-of-factly and walked on.
I stood dumbfounded for a few seconds then I ran after him and caught him up a few moments later.
"Err," I stammered, "could you tell me the way there?"
"Yes," he answered once more, just as calmly and went along his way.
This time I didn't let him get very far.
"Then please tell me the way to the hotel," I prompted rather unnerved.
"Of course," he smiled, "why didn't you say so in the first place..." and he gave me the most detailed explanation I could hope for, leading me to my hotel in no time.
When I arrived there, I told the story to the receptionist and she laughed. Not many people get our Northern humour, she explained: in hindsight, I think I do.

Find the way on the Kiel Travel Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment