Wednesday 5 January 2011

I love desert

In particular, I love the deserts that you can get in France and especially in Paris, whether it be Profiterole,  Crème brûlée or Crêpe Flambé. Any and all of the dishes you get in Paris are sweet and soft and utterly delicious. The only trouble is that you have to wait for them for a very long time, which brings me to my point, business etiquette - well almost...
First, let me digress a little to say that I love French starters main and any supplementary courses almost as much as I adore deserts. I do have a complaint though. Especially in the higher priced restaurants waiters make you wait rather than wait on you (though if you've ever been to McDonalds you'll know the French definition of fast food is somehow different to the rest of the world, too). The only exception I have noticed is the wine which usually arrives promptly after you order and at exactly the right temperature. Food is an altogether different matter though, and it is quite common for 2 hours or more to pass till you reach desert time, and the best bit of the meal - well, for me at least.
The business morale in this? It's quite simply the same. If you want to discuss a juicy deal over a meal in Paris, you better pace yourself till its desert time. Before it's considered to be poor taste to bring up business matters, and casual chatting is the norm. And don't worry that there won't be enough time for discussions when it gets late before your desert arrives. No matter what the time, in Paris you always still have a moment for a coffee, or two.

Don't talk, just read the Paris Travel Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment